The Rev. Donald Reeves presented the 8th paper, "From Fear To Handshake." He made the following key points...
- This paper is based on his experiences at mediation in Bosnia.
- Nelson Mandela said, "To make peace you must talk to your enemies rather than your friends.
- The Anglican Communion should make use of the wisdom of those Anglicans who are active in mediation to help resolve its current disagreements.
- In Bosnia, there is a great deal of ongoing tension between the Serbs and Bosniacs (Muslim Bosnians). Donald helped mediate a dispute over a mine that was used as a slave labor camp for the Bosniacs by the Serbs during the war. Many Bosniacs were killed in the camp and they wanted a memorial established there.
- This is the process he used: An invitation to talk. Identifying who wanted to talk. Bringing willing people together in pairs first, then small groups, and then larger groups. Dealing with "spoilers"--people who tried to sabotage the process. Moving beyond ideological "first principles" to pragmatic issues. Allowing participants to tell their personal stories. Repeating back to participants the propaganda they spout. Using the media to advantage.
- He has discussed a mediation process directly with Rowan Williams. The Archbishop said he would discuss it with his staff. Donald is still waiting for Lambeth Palace to get back in touch with him. However, he is facilitating a fringe event on mediation during the Lambeth Conference.