On May 24th, Clergy representing Integrity USA and the Episcopal Church will join hundreds of fellow religious leaders from across the country to lobby on Capitol Hill as part of the Human Rights Campaign’s “Clergy Call. They will go door to door in the halls of Congress to lobby legislators on issues of great importance to all of us.
"We pray for a time when May17th will be just another ordinary day on the calendar,"said Max Niedzwiecki, Executive Director of Integrity USA "It's time to do everything we can to end homophobia and transphobia. People of faith can make a huge difference when they put their faith into action. I hope you will join me in making our voices heard on Capitol Hill."
Send a letter to your Representative and Senators to let them know that on that day, these clergy speak for you .Here's a letter you can copy and send or email:
Dear [fill in the legislator],
As an Episcopalian and a member of Integrity USA, this day is especially meaningful to me. On Tuesday May 24, hundreds of clergy from around the country will gather on Capitol Hill as part of the Human Rights Campaign’s “Clergy Call” I want you to know that they speak for me when they talk to you about issues of LGBT equality.
• They speak for me when they advocate for a fully inclusive Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) providing basic protections against workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.
• They speak for me when they speak for The Uniting American Families Act (UAFA) allowing U.S. citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their same-sex partners for family-based immigration, ending the injustice of many same-sex, bi-national couples being kept or torn apart.
• They speak for me when they ask you to support the Student Non-Discrimination Act (SNDA) prohibiting any school program or activity receiving federal financial assistance from discriminating against any public school student on the basis of actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity.
• They speak for me when they call for The Safe Schools Improvement Act (SSIA) amending the Elementary and Secondary Education Act to requiring schools and districts receiving federal funds to adopt codes of conduct specifically prohibiting bullying and harassment, including on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
• They speak for me as a person of faith who believes that the all in “liberty and justice for all” applies equally to LGBT Americans. And they speak for me as your constituent as I ask you to embody those traditional American values for me on Capitol Hill and to support justice and equality for all.
• [your signature, etc.]
FYI - All Americans should be in contact with their elected officials. This directory makes it easy. Most Congressfolks now use web forms as their primary contact method. They often will only be responsive if you demonstrate that you are one of their constituents. So be sure to include your snail mail address in your correspondence To find out how to contact you Senator and Representative, click here.
Take action today and get your voice heard on the issues. Please let us know at Info@IntegrityUSA.org when you send/email your legislators.