Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Newsweek: From 'the gender issue'

Here's just one question a Newsweek interviewer posed to the longtime LA Times sports columnist formerly known as Mike Penner who is now transitioning to become Christine Daniels.

I've been watching your blogs and was surprised to read that you turned to your church for support regarding transgender issues and transitioning. That's a pretty open-minded church.

Yes, I've regained a lot of my spirituality by transitioning. I found this church in West Los Angeles that's very gay and transgender-friendly. It was the first place that accepted me wholeheartedly and unconditionally as Christine. I talked to the clergy and parishioners there at length about my transition, and they really guided me on it. I don't know if I could have done it without them."

Read it all here and explore the rest of this groundbreaking issue of Newsweek.

No comments: