Friday, March 2, 2007

Barbara Cawthorne Crafton | I CAN DEAL WITH AN IMPERFECT CHURCH

"I haven't written my pithy, quotable essay on the Anglican Primates meeting in Tanzania yet. I want to write it, but I keep thinking of things that slow me down. Not indecision about the disagreement at hand -- I'm not in doubt about the rightness of everyone being fully the person God intends, whether in marriage or ministry. My own life has been too rich with the blessings of friendship with far too many gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered people to turn my back on them now."

Click here to read the rest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Barbara makes an important point -- the sacrifice being asked of "the Episcopal Church" is *not* being asked of the whole church, but only of LGBT members, and they weren't asked.

How different might it have been if there had been (openly) gay and lesbian people in the closed-door meeting with the Primates? How might it have been for them to have to ask LGBT Anglicans to their faces to make this sacrifice? And how might I, or you, or you, have responded?

We'll never know.