Friday, June 22, 2007

Anglican Love Knot

By ANDREW CASH
NOW Magazine
JUNE 21 - 27, 2007 VOL. 26 NO. 42


Leaving his tiara at home, Chris Ambidge is going to miss Pride this year for the first time in two decades. Instead, he's going to parade in altogether different attire, working the floor of the Anglican Church of Canada's general synod, meeting through Monday (June 25).

As president of the Toronto chapter of Integrity, an international org of gay and lesbian Anglicans, Ambidge will go to Winnipeg to persuade his fellow church people that the sky won't fall if his Church allows the blessing of same-sex marriages.

"The Anglican Church baptized me, and they're stuck with me just as I'm stuck with those the Church baptized whom I oppose," he tells me. "But I am getting impatient, because I've worked on this for 20 years. We now have same-sex civil marriages in Canada, and civilization has not fallen apart."

snip

Ambidge likens the conservative pressures to being on a ship going through a storm. "You have to lighten the load to get through, so you decide to toss the gays and lesbians overboard."

Click here to read the entire article.

No comments: