Monday, February 1, 2010

INTEGRITY NETWORK COORDINATOR IS FIRST OPENLY GAY MAN ELECTED TO CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST. PAUL CHAPTER IN DIOCESE OF SPRINGFIELD


“Nobody was more surprised than I” proclaimed Randall Abbott, about his recent election to the Cathedral Chapter in the conservative Diocese of Springfield. Abbott was one of five candidates who ran for four openings in the Cathedral Chapter. “I look forward to being a voice for and witness to the LGBT faithful in this diocese, many of whom do not feel safe to come out of the closet. “

Abbott, a lawyer, was formerly a member of the United Methodist Church and was confirmed in the Episcopal Church in 1995. He takes pride in the fact that he has always been openly about hi sexual orientation.. “I was asked to run, not because I’m gay, but because I’m a lawyer and the Chapter could benefit from my gifts," said Abbott. “But the biggest gift I bring to this diocese is being my true, authentic self, a proud openly gay Episcopalian. I have always lived my life in the spirit of Psalm 84:11.” (No good thing will God withhold from those who walk with Integrity.)

Prior to his election, Abbott was Integrity’s Network Coordinator in the Diocese of Springfield. “I look forward to continuing to work with Integrity to bring the legislative victories from last summer at General Convention home to Springfield, " the new Chapter member said.

Abbott’s election signals a new milestone for Integrity’s work and witness as we expand our focus to include both national and local advocacy. Randall asks for prayers as he faces his work ahead. Congrats, Randall!! We are very proud!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaaaamen!
This in one of the most conservative Diocese in TEC?
Great news! Gives me hope for the future of my own DoNI!

Louise Brooks said...

That's the Diocese of Sprinfield, ILLINOIS....